I have partially assembled a tree bookcase and have discovered that I have been supplied with an incorrect part. I was supplied with the part shown in the attached picture. The pictured part is 76mm in length, yet the assembly requires the same but at 71mm. I have contacted the vendor, who do not know the part's name, but assure me that I can find them in any hardware store. No hardware store I have visited has been able to identify it, though.

Please, can somebody tell me what is the name of the part, and where can I find one that at 71mm?


enter image description here

  • 1
    1. What does it connect to? That'll help in identifying/naming it. 2. Are you sure you need a shorter one? Do you think you need 71mm because the instructions say so? - It could be a misprint. Or because you can't make it fit properly? - Maybe you're assembling it wrong.
    – AndyT
    Feb 15, 2018 at 10:54
  • It is used to join the top (heavy) half of a bookcase to its bottom. The two pieces are to be joined end to end. The instructions state that a 71mm connector is required. Inserting the connector reveals that it is 5mm away from sitting flush.
    – Adam
    Feb 15, 2018 at 10:57
  • Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. Rather than what it connects (two parts of a bookcase), I want to know what other components it connects to. i.e. Does it connect to a cam at both ends? Something else?
    – AndyT
    Feb 15, 2018 at 11:03
  • My fault, entirely! And yes, it connects to a cam. I believe that the shorter one might work, so I'll give it a try. Thanks again
    – Adam
    Feb 15, 2018 at 11:21
  • what do the assembly instructions call it?
    – jsotola
    Feb 15, 2018 at 17:54

1 Answer 1


I'm tempted to call that a double-ended dowel for a cam connection.

  • Thank you. It seems that they're readily available...in 68mm.
    – Adam
    Feb 15, 2018 at 11:02
  • That's frustrating! Maybe you could use the shorter one, and re-drill the hole for the cam? It wouldn't be as strong though, as the original hole will mostly overlap with the new hole. And it would look a bit bodged too, if it was visible.
    – AndyT
    Feb 15, 2018 at 11:06
  • If the one that's 5 mm too long isn't close enough, 2 mm too short isn't likely to work either. Recutting the hole 2 mm shallower is likely to be a lot weaker; I'd feel safer with the too-long piece and a spacer -- or a web search for the elusive 71 mm part.
    – Steve
    Feb 15, 2018 at 16:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.