While cleaning my kitchen and behind my fridge, I found this part on its back. It was filled with a moldy liquid that looked like water. I threw the liquid away and cleaned the part. I’ve added a bit of water back (not as much as it had) and put the part back in its place.

I found the manual for a similar fridge model but I see no reference to the part.

My question is what is this part for, and how should I take care of it?

  • 1
    Looks like a condensation or frost-melt catch basin. It's probably expected that it'll only get occasional use, such as during the defrost cycle, and that any water collected will evaporate.
    – isherwood
    Commented Feb 14, 2018 at 19:04

1 Answer 1


That is almost certainly the drip pan, and it is intended to catch condensation flowing from the condensation/defrost drains in the fridge/freezer.
This water should just evaporate into the surrounding air over time.
Cleaning it occasionally is not a bad idea, but it is not necessary to 'replace' any of the water you may find in it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.