While I was repainting the interior, some plaster started coming off the old brickwork in my new house. I now have a 50cm by 50cm hole. Underneath, the mortar is crumbling and some bricks are cracked. I'd like to plaster over this hole, but first I need to patch up the mortar. Two questions:

  • Is this easy to do myself? I'm a DIY beginner. If so, is there an easier way than mixing a load of lime mortar, for this small job?
  • Should I be worried that there are underlying problems with the brickwork? The survey said the house was structurally sound. I'm not sure whether this level of damage is normal for a house this old (c. 1800) or if it might reveal other issues.

brickwork brickwork 2

  • 3
    It was likely caused by moisture from behind, the million dollar question is whether THAT problem has already been dealt with.... – Tyson Feb 4 '18 at 15:52
  • Hmm... yup, that figures. There is damp coming in from the outside. I am going to fix that, but should I wait before trying to fix this? Or should I go ahead and fix this side of things? – dash2 Feb 5 '18 at 17:52
  • 1
    If you still have a moisture problem that must be fixed first. If there is still moisture from behind and you fix this surface damage first, it will just come back in short time. – Tyson Feb 5 '18 at 17:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.