My outside hose pressure relief valve leaks when the water is on. It comes out near the top of the valve where it connects to the facet.

I have been unable to remove it, the set screw is shot after 18 years, I can turn it about 3/4 of a turn and that is it.

Any secrets for a quick fix without having to replace the facet.

  • Can I drill out the set screw ? – bobbee25 Feb 3 '18 at 19:23
  • 5
    What is the type of head on the set screw? Have you tried locking pliers (aka Vise-Grips)? Not to quibble about terminology but I think this is called a vacuum relief, anti-siphon, or anti-backflow valve rather than a pressure relief valve. – Jim Stewart Feb 3 '18 at 19:46

The anti-siphon valves I installed on my outside faucets are brass and one could drill multiple holes in the brass around the set screw to weaken it, then tear out the screw.

  • You can also cut or grind a notch in the set screw and use a slotted screwdriver to unscrew it. – Dotes Feb 4 '18 at 0:00
  • The screw in mine is bright silver color, indicating to me that the screw might be stainless steel. Of course, it might just be chrome plated steel. – Jim Stewart Feb 4 '18 at 1:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.