enter image description here

Water leak from above windows created bubbles. I stripped the damaged section with putty knife, did I go too far? What steps should I take next? I'm new at this, I think I'm supposed to add primer and then a coat of paint.

  • Ed's answer below and the Onetime(r) product will work. The big thing is the leak is no longer present that created the problem to begin with. – Jack Feb 3 '18 at 21:53
  • I just don't understand why normal primer (sealer) is not preferred in this situation since the whole wall was done this way? Still solving the leak problem. – Altoban Feb 4 '18 at 11:45
  • Yes, regular primer will work, please be certain the leak is gone and the wall is absolutely dry. – Jack Feb 4 '18 at 15:40

Here is the over kill but guaranteed way to fix this. There are steps you can skip, but the paint may crack/peel/bubble/not stick if you do. Water damaged gypsum board can be tricky.

Remove any loose material. Lightly sand. Apply Zinsser Gardz. Allow to dry and lightly sand. Patch/skim with spackle/mud. Allow to dry and lightly sand. Repeat application of spackle/mud and light sanding if necessary to achieve acceptable finish level. Apply Zinsser Gardz. Allow to dry and lightly sand. Finish with 2 coats of normal paint.

  • It can be hard to find the product or equivalent since I'm not based in US. but is this the same thing which I got? reddevil.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=912 – Altoban Feb 3 '18 at 21:18
  • No, that's not the same thing. Look for a primer that will either repair damaged wallboard, fix peeling paint, allow painting after removing wallpaper, or prevents bubbles after skim coating. If I were you, I would buy Gardz on eBay from anyone who will ship internationally. – Dotes Feb 3 '18 at 21:37
  • I forgot to say my wall isn't drywall. – Altoban Feb 4 '18 at 8:28

Did you go too far? I don't think you did. It is best to remove the loose material. I would use some topping compound and fill the area and lightly sand. This will give a normal look. If you just prime and paint it will be visible for years. I use topping mud where I need a thin coat. It sands easier then prime and repaint and you will have a professional looking repair.

  • Never heard of topping mud before, what's it usually used for so I can know what to ask for? Btw this is not drywall. – Altoban Feb 3 '18 at 17:07
  • 1
    Yes it looks like plaster, I would still use topping mud it is a softer lighter form of drywall mud. It is easier to put a thin coat down and easier to sand, anyplace that sells sheetrock / mud will have topping mud many places will have small tubs like a quart for a few $. – Ed Beal Feb 3 '18 at 17:13
  • I can find it if only I have a description people will understand since I'm in a non English country. – Altoban Feb 4 '18 at 11:29
  • This store here has the most products but don't know where it is: cmbegypt.com/cmbgroup/products/admixtures – Altoban Feb 4 '18 at 11:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.