I'd like to build a DIY gabion wall. I've watched many tutorials, but I'm at a loss on where to buy the mesh the build the baskets from. I saw the mesh at the local Home Depot store and it was rusted, unsightly, and dented. I'm hoping for a clean straight look. I also looked in the local stone supply and found nothing. I'm in the Philadelphia, PA area.

So my questions are

  1. What kind of mesh won't rust? What keyword am I looking for? (Galvanized?)
  2. What kind of store can I buy it at?
  • Shopping questions are off topic, which this mostly is.... – Tyson Jan 31 '18 at 1:49
  • Changed from "where can I buy it?" to "What kind of store can I buy it at?". I don't mean to ask a shopping question. I just don't know what the primary use for those meshes is. – Wynne Jan 31 '18 at 2:00
  • Try searching for galvanized fencing rather than the concrete reinforcement mesh you've probably seen. – brhans Jan 31 '18 at 2:13
  • There are galvanized baskets and polymer-coated galvanized baskets. maccaferri.com/us/products/gabions – Jim Stewart Jan 31 '18 at 8:30

I have done further research following brhan's suggestion and I have found a galvanized fencing that's 12 gauge. Here is a link to product. It comes in various sizes, including 8' wide.

Pivoting this discussion, what I'm wondering about is whether 12 gauge would offer sufficient strength in a retaining wall application?

  • 1
    SE isn't a discussion forum, and therefore there are no pivots. Please post a new question if you have one, and accept this answer to close this question. – isherwood Feb 7 '18 at 20:06

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.