Going to sound stupid, but i have to ask. I'm running CM ethernet cable in my attic. just two runs.

I am looking for what an official 'riser' is? I've always just used eye hooks for this stuff but i wanted to see if there is a legitimate riser for the job that should be used

  • they have huge metal "baskets" at work, with dozens/hundreds of cable runs, but you don't need anything. – dandavis Jan 26 '18 at 4:37
  • 1
    I suspect "riser" is not the word you meant, Are you attempting to ask about fasteners? Don't use anything that crimps or pinches the cable even a little bit (I.e no staples out of a staple gun). Also avoid hard 90 degree bends, corners/turns need to be a relaxed radius. – Tyson Jan 26 '18 at 11:57

Riser is more for industrial /commercial work. In a residence you can run the cable through drilled holes inside the walls. But a riser in a large building is a chase that is verticle and has fire blocks at each floor.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, yeah I understand now. i kept hearing someone talk about risers, but what they riser cable (CMR-Rated). I've been out of the loop for around 10 years so I thought maybe I had missed something somewhere. thanks for the answer! – JohnT Jan 27 '18 at 17:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.