I want to avoid buying another breaker and using a slot up in my sub panel just for one plug. I bought a plug\box kit which contains a 15A receptacle. I assume this wouldn't be to code since the feed is 20A and the receptacle is rated for 15A. If I get a 20A receptacle would I be able to wire in this manner?

I want to take one leg of the 220V feed to the pump motor, split it off, and go to a plug along with a neutral. Here is a diagram to explain.

enter image description here

  • all of the wiring must be rated for 20 amp (I don't know if there are other code issues)
    – agentp
    Jan 21, 2018 at 16:10
  • 1
    Is the breaker for the pump a two-pole common trip type? Or is it two single pole breakers handle-tied together, or something else? Jan 21, 2018 at 16:18
  • @ThreePhaseEel - I believe a common trip. It is a single breaker that contacts both bus bars and occupies two slots. I assume two single poles are not to code where common trip is fine.
    – jhon doe
    Jan 21, 2018 at 17:07
  • Do you already have the neutral at the pump location, or are you going to be pulling a new neutral wire (or new cable, depending on the wiring method)? Jan 21, 2018 at 17:45
  • @ThreePhaseEel - A plug box was previously installed and simply covered. A neutral and ground were pulled to it from the subpanel. The wires and box were covered. Since I have to replace the pump timer anyway I was just going to pull a hot down to the plug from one of the inputs to the pump timer and install a 20A receptical . The pump timer is basically a 220v relay. The pump is not shown in the picture, only the inputs to the timer.
    – jhon doe
    Jan 21, 2018 at 18:04

1 Answer 1


You're fine putting the receptacle there

You have a common-trip, two-pole breaker (instead of two handle-tied single pole breakers or an independent trip breaker), so that meets the disconnecting and OCP requirements for a mixed 120/240V circuit (210.4(C) Exception 2), and since the motor FLA is only 8A, it doesn't exceed the 50% (10A) limit on hardwired loads where receptacles or luminaires are also present (210.23(A)(2)).

Since the breaker is 20A and this will no longer be a motor-only circuit, not only do you need to use 12AWG wire for the connection to the new receptacle, you need to make sure the existing wiring is all 12AWG or thicker, and replace any substandard wire found. Also, make sure the motor has a built-in thermal overload protector or is impedance protected as per 430.32(B) and 430.53(B). (Look for a red button on the motor, or the letters 'T.P.' or 'Z.P.' on the motor nameplate.)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.