We just got a fixer upper and the house had been vacant so long somebody took all the plumbing pipes to the sinks inside the house.. the pipes under the house from the well and to the septic tank seem to be Intact, but I have no idea what we need to connect the sink to the water supply and drainage..

  • Do you mean to say that there is no water supply pipes ( in the walls ) from the water heater and the the line from the well TO the rooms with fixtures, I.E. kitchen, bathroom, laundry. Or just lines from the pipes/valves in the walls to the sink itself ? They took drain plumbing as well? We need more details. – Alaska Man Jan 20 '18 at 17:33

There is a kit you can get at most big box home improvement shops, but you need the drains themselves (if you don't already have them) to go through the bottom of the sink, then you'll have pipe coming down and either connecting in the middle (sort of a T shape) or the pipe from one side will come across and dump into the other. If you have a dishwasher, this is about where you should expect to attach it's drain line. Continuing on, you will then have either a P trap (if the drain goes through the wall) or an S trap (if the drain line is to go through the floor).

For supply, the big question comes down to how many holes there are for the spigot. Count the holes, then pick out a fixture you like that uses that many holes. Get 2 adapters while you're at it to go from whatever connection the fixture uses to your supply pipe (probably 1/2", possibly 3/4"). If there will be a dishwasher, the hot water often gets teed off for it in that general vicinity. Just upstream, put shutoff valves on both the hot and cold water lines coming in.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.