I'm reassembling the gas line to my hot water heater. I'm at the last joint and I have the problem shown in Fig. 1.

I need to join A to B where A and B are both male and both fixed at the other end. So I'm considering using a coupler C. The problem is, no matter which way I rotate C, it's going to loosen at either A or B while tightening at the other. (And I need C to tighten at both A and B.)

How do I solve this problem and join A to B? Is there maybe a different fitting to use? Am I missing something, either obvious or not-so-obvious?

Fig.1. Union of two male, fixed pieces of pipe

enter image description here

Edit: I just found this related answer over at engineering.SE.

  • 1
    I'm not sure that someone who is not aware of what a union is should be working on gas pipes. Hope you don't blow up your house... – Ecnerwal Jan 19 '18 at 16:33
  • @Ecnerwal: Why? Is gas flammable? – Mowzer Jan 20 '18 at 4:58

You want something like a pipe Union. You might have to check with local codes though cause you might need have the union at the appliance with gas lines. I am not 100% sure, a plumber would know. https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/65-union.htm

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.