New home has a gas fireplace that that we believe is connected to our thermostat. The fire will turn on/off continuously. Is there a way to disconnect it so we can just have the fireplace ON continuously when we want to use it?
Thanks in advance!
Home Improvement Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for contractors and serious DIYers. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
I have run into this a couple of times. If your situation is the same as mine, here is what's happening: The fireplace operates on extremely low voltage. Because of this, it doesn't require much outside influence to induce a voltage in the stat wire to open the gas valve on the fireplace. If when the fireplace was installed, the installers ran the stat wire through the same drilled holes with line voltage circuitry wires, this is how it happens. Someone turns on a chandelier of the refrigerator starts. Those circuit wires experience a significant up tick in current flow. That current induces an induction field all around the cable. If the stat wire falls within that field, the fireplace starts. It is like a mini transformer.