I am looking at adding a tankless water heater but I don't have enough spaces in my breaker box for the breaker requirements of the heater. It is asking for 3 double pole 40 amp breakers and I am thinking about adding in a sub panel for the water heater. I was wondering if this is ok and what size breaker do I need to install for the sub panel. If this helps anyone answer my questions or give me advice I am looking at a eco smart 27. it requires 3 40 amp double breakers and im new to electrical work and don't know much I am having a electrian come out and do the work so it is done right and so I don't kill myself. I do know that the eco smart 27 has 3 heating elements in it and thasts the reason for the 3 breakers.

  • 1
    Do you have a water heater that you're replacing? Or is the tankless an addition?
    – mmathis
    Jan 9, 2018 at 13:25

1 Answer 1


This heater alone required 113 Amps with really heavy hot water usage. So first you need an electrician to look at your house and your electrical panel/s to see if you have that much power available. The sub-panel idea is good if you have the available power. The sub-panel would need a rating of at least 125-Amps. You need to have newer and quality service equipment. Otherwise this type of a load could really raise havoc.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.