I'd like to close the tube that from my garden go to the garage box. Is there any cheap way to figure out where the tubes are without dig the ground/walls?

  • 1
    Plastic or metal? Metal perhaps you can rent an underground tracer. – Tyson Jan 7 '18 at 15:11
  • Unfortunately, plastic – Delayer Jan 7 '18 at 19:23
  • When you say "close the tube" what do you mean? Can you not just cap it off on each end where you can access it inside? Do you need to know where it actually runs? – Linwood Jan 7 '18 at 20:38
  • 1
    Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. Is this a water pipe, or electrical conduit? What is the purpose of it? Why do you want to remove it; could you just cut off the end and leave the rest underground? – Daniel Griscom Jan 7 '18 at 23:56
  • More info needed - electrical or water or what ? – Ken Jan 8 '18 at 8:36

Here is what I would do to locate that plastic pipe under ground - I would disconnect it at your garage box, I would then insert a copper, aluminum wire of sufficient gauge to be able to feed into the pipe with out it curling up on you or you could run Electricians steel 'Fish Tape' .

At this point use a metal detector - you can buy them for about $100 - $200 U.S.

Now using the metal detector you can plot where that Plastic Pipe is located ..Very easily..



can't you call your utility company to mark where things are underground?

  • 2
    This probably isn't the utility's pipe to begin with, so they wouldn't have a clue where it was... – ThreePhaseEel Jan 10 '18 at 23:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.