I have some exposed duct work in my garage. I am looking to insulate it and was looking at the types of insulation. Is is better to use fiberglass or "bubble wrap" reflective roll insulation? I live in western Pennsylvania.

  • You'll really want to provide more details (ex. where are you/warm or cold climate), but odds are, fiberglass if you're trying to stop conduction/convection, and reflective if you want to stop radiative heat loss.
    – Hari
    Jan 2, 2018 at 21:19

1 Answer 1


I prefer bubble wrap as it generally looks nicer and is easier to clean if looks are important. However the R value for single ply with no air gap is generally about R-4. To achieve R-6 you would need to provide an air gap by first cutting strips and then go over the strips with the bubble wrap. R-6 is generally considered the minimum. 2” faced fiberglass is generally R-6 as well.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.