I live in the US, where household current is 110/120V. After a recent trip to Europe I'm wondering whether I could buy a 220V appliance there and use it at home. This page says that the best solution is to use a voltage adapter, but I was under the impression that those were for short-term use only (e.g., when you're traveling in a place with different wiring than in your home country). Is it really that simple? Can I buy, say, a lamp in Europe and just stick an adapter on it to use it in my living room in the US? Or would I have to actually rewire a lamp (or whatever) that I bought abroad?

EDIT: this question/answer makes it sound like rewiring isn't too hard, if I had to do it, but if I can avoid messing around with it, so much the better.

EDIT 2: To clarify, in response to comments, the question initially arose in regard to a table lamp. It applies equally to a coffee maker I saw. We're not talking about, say, a dishwasher.

  • I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that the voltage adapters can get quite warm, and waste a lot of energy. For those reasons, it might not be something you want to do long term even if you can.
    – raydowe
    Jan 2, 2018 at 14:36
  • 2
    The particulars of the appliance are important. A lamp might be fine to use with a simple plug adapter (vs an actual voltage adapter), especially if they use the same socket as US lamps.
    – Jon
    Jan 2, 2018 at 14:54
  • 2
    @crmdgn I was wondering about the bulb socket, i recognize the plug sockets are different.
    – Jon
    Jan 2, 2018 at 15:04
  • 1
    There is a HUGE difference between adapting an appliance vs a lamp. Your question starts asking about an "appliance" but rambles into discussing "lamps". Lamps are generally relatively easy to convert. Appliances are a whole different ball game.
    – Tyson
    Jan 2, 2018 at 15:41
  • 1
    And with some appliances the frequency - 50 hz vs. 60 hz - can be an important factor as well. If your motor speed depends on frequency then running 20% faster may not be a good thing. Jan 2, 2018 at 15:55

1 Answer 1


If your appliance requires a voltage greater or lesser than you have in your household electrical system, then you must supply the required voltage. Electronic devices should have a label or embossing with their input voltage, and many like phone or laptop chargers might accept a range of 100 to 250 volts, meaning they can be safely used in both the US and the UK, for example.

I personally moved from the UK to Mexico and have rewired an extension lead so it has a North American plug and British socket outlets, so I didn't have to wire new plugs onto my Blu-Ray player and Apple TV. I don't have to worry about voltage since the supply in Mexico is within the range accepted by those devices.

If you buy a bedside lamp, you'll need to change the bulb, but the rest of the object is just some cable, a switch, and a structure. As long as you're not putting an extremely high power bulb in it that would exceed the rating of its internal cables, you've nothing to worry about, and I would simply go to Home Depot and buy a plug to wire onto it. If you're not up to that, buy a simple but robust travel adapter. This will serve for long term use.

Now you mentioned a coffee maker, my Bialetti was brought over from Italy and I rewired it with a UK plug, but according to the appliance label it requires 220V+ so for use in Mexico I need a transformer to step the voltage up from 110V to 220V (approx., this is Mexico). You have to take into account the wattage (power rating) of the device so you get a suitable transformer.

Frequency (50Hz in the UK, 60Hz in North America) can be a consideration for some devices, as manassehkatz pointed out in a comment, and this would require additional equipment the cost of which would be prohibitive for household appliances.

My recommendation is that a 110V to 220V transformer of sufficient power rating, costing perhaps $100 or less, would be suitable for long-term use with a European appliance that requires 220V, while any device accepting 110V should be preferably be rewired to use a US plug, or, failing that, be connected to an individual non-transformer travel adapter that makes a good fit with both the device plug and the US outlet, or like I do via a foreign power strip wired to a US plug. It is even possible to purchase pre-made strips in this configuration.

  • 1
    One additional point is that small, in-plug transformers that are basically intended for using a small device while travelling, are kind of old-hat since the small devices for which they're suitable these days usually accept a range of voltages anyway. That's not the kind of transformer you'll need for a coffee maker - mine is 1250W and the transformer is a metal box with a cable to connect to an outlet, and a foreign outlet on the front. I've seen (smelled) those little plug-in transformers burn out from powering a US TV in the UK.
    – Sam_Butler
    Jan 11, 2018 at 2:44
  • I can give this answer an up vote because it is resistive load centered. Motor loads are a bit different but think the answer is sound.
    – Ed Beal
    Jan 11, 2018 at 3:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.