I have a house built in the 1930s with lath and plaster walls. I was planning to install a hook, so I needed to find a stud. My normal stud finder didn't work (as expected), so I used some rare earth magnets. However, I found that there is about 3-4 inches of something metal all along the top of the wall. This seems to extend to every wall on the floor. I am fairly new to this era house - what could be along the top of all the walls that would be made of metal?

top of wall

  • Likely a metal corner.
    – Dan D.
    Jan 1, 2018 at 3:35
  • Would a metal corner run along all walls? What is the purpose of a metal corner?
    – Erick T
    Jan 1, 2018 at 3:42
  • does it extend to the ceiling?
    – jsotola
    Jan 1, 2018 at 6:50
  • google metal lath plaster picture
    – jsotola
    Jan 1, 2018 at 6:52
  • It goes from the ceiling down a few inches. If it was metal lath plaster mesh, I would think it would extend all the way down, no?
    – Erick T
    Jan 1, 2018 at 9:12

1 Answer 1


It is likely to be "drywall bead " used to make joins between plasterboard at internal an external corners. It makes it easier for builders or renovators to produce a clean sharp corner.

  • Looking at the dimensions of where the metal is (via magnet), this looks about right. Thanks!
    – Erick T
    Jan 2, 2018 at 0:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.