I have a overflow? pipe near the kitchen drain on the outside of the house that's been leaking as of late, and I'm curious if anyone knows what the pipe is, what it does, and how to fix the issue?

Notes about my house: Heater is in the garage, kitchen is like 20 ft from there. AC is the other side of the house. enter image description here

  • 2
    Is there a basement? Can you get to the inside near that? It looks like a vinyl tubing outlet from a condensate pump, which is often used in utility rooms for water from A/C coils, condensate from boiler exhaust, etc.
    – Tim B
    Dec 15 '17 at 21:06
  • Did you ever get this resolved? If so, please give a check-mark to the answer or write up your own answer explaining what you did to get it fixed and give yourself a check mark. That will help others with this kind of problem know that this has a resolution and is a good place to look for their answer.
    – FreeMan
    Aug 25 '20 at 10:50
  • 3
    I’m voting to close this question because it's been abandoned.
    – FreeMan
    Dec 23 '20 at 20:39

Even though the water heater is some distance away it is still the most likely candidate for the source of this overflow pipe. I would replace the pop-off valve on the water heater. See if things change.

  • 4
    I doubt this vinyl tubing is the discharge point for the hot water heaters Temperature & Pressure (T&P) Relief Valve.
    – Tyson
    Dec 15 '17 at 23:49
  • Agree with @Tyson. That kind of discharge shouldn't run very far from the heater and also should be copper pipe.
    – gnicko
    Jul 12 '18 at 17:10
  • 2
    @gregory nickoloff, Depending on the age of the home galvanized pipe used to be more common. I would trip the T&P valve to see if this is the source before just replacing it.
    – Ed Beal
    Oct 28 '18 at 11:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.