We have an old staircase (1900s) and after removing the carpet, before we get the new one fitted, we noticed that one of the corner steps has a lengthways split right down the middle:

Photo of crack in stairs

How easy would it be replace the step? Or alternatively would it be possible to toughen it up? One person suggested to use a thin piece of hardboard on top of it to spread the load.

I have booked out a joiner for tomorrow morning but now wondering whether I should just leave the step alone. I haven't used the joiner before so don't want him to just crash & burn to make some money so would really appreciate some advice. When I walk on the step it gives less than 1cm. There is no access to the stairs underneath.

1 Answer 1


If the tread is loose enough to close the gap by tapping it with a hammer you may be able to glue it .If it is loose take two 3/4x3/4 inch boards that are as long as the crack.Drill four holes thru both boards big enough for a 10-24 screw.With some dry wall screws attach the boards to the tread on both sides of the crack.Apply some gorilla glue to the gap. Using the 10-24 screws draw the gap closed, allow the glue to dry, remove the 3/4" boards.Sand any glue squeezed out.

  • thanks. in the end we glued the gap and then attached a piece of hardboard on top. seems to have worked well. new carpet now installed and feels great!
    – xylar
    Commented Mar 12, 2012 at 23:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.