I have sockets around my sitting room that I can control and dim from the light switch. I want to plug in some christmas lights but don't want to change all the plugs. CAn i change the plug on a normal extension cable for a 5 amp small round pin plug and plug in some square pin lights to that, allowing me to dim from the light switch?


  • 1
    What country are you in? It is illegal in the US and other NEC countries to place receptacles on a dimmer, unless they are specially keyed to only accept dimmable lamps. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Dec 5 '17 at 18:29
  • I was thinking the same thing + – Ed Beal Dec 5 '17 at 20:12

Assuming by this that you mean UK standard 13A 3-square pin plugs and 5A 3-round pin plugs then yes.

I have done this for my lights for several years.

You do have to bear one thing in mind. While 13A square-pin plugs contain a fuse within the plug, 5A round-pin plugs do not. They are protected by the circuit breaker at the main fuse box.

I assume your 13A plugs actually contain a 3A or 5A fuse if you're using them just for fairy lights. Check the ratings and where your round-pin sockets are actually protected.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.