I'm trying to buy t-molding online for hardwood that is 1/2" from subfloor to top of the hardwood, so I would like a t-molding that is 1/2" from the bottom to where the t-molding would rest on the hardwood. But I can't tell if the descriptions measure from the bottom to where the t-molding rests on the hardwood, or if it measures the thickest part of the trim piece.

For example, in this HD product description:

"9/16 in. Thick x 2 in. Wide x 84 in. Length"

Is it 9/16" from the bottom to the where it would touch the floor? Or 9/16" from the bottom to the top?


This part is going to be 9/16" total thickness. From the top to the bottom. Only a more detailed drawing is going to tell the exact height and width of the tongue portion.

  • Thanks, so it looks like I won't be able to use these general measurements to buy online. I either need to find a listing with more detailed measurements, or measure & buy in-store.
    – Avi Tevet
    Nov 29 '17 at 19:03
  • Mohawk is a HUGE flooring company. I wouldn't be surprised to find very detailed information on their website. It would be worth checking out.
    – JPhi1618
    Nov 29 '17 at 19:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.