I got rid of the hot tub and have 60A spa panel. Can I purchase guts that would make it a breaker box?

Or should I just replace it with a circuit breaker box?

I want to run power to my shed.

Is it feasible to leave the spa panel in place and run a sub panel inside the shed?

I would like to not burn down the house/shed/neighborhood.....


  • Most "spa panels" really are tiny loadcenters. How much power does your shed need? Also, is the "spa panel" mounted on the shed, or somewhere else? – ThreePhaseEel Nov 22 '17 at 0:25
  • "Burn down the"... Yeah, that can happen. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Nov 22 '17 at 20:29

Most spa panels have 2 spaces for auxiliary loads, often they are inside the coverage of the built-in GFCI.

However you don't want to run multiple circuits over to the shed, you are only allowed one circuit per voltage. (One 240, one 120+240, one 120). Any further division of circuits must be in a subpanel in the shed. Don't get too small a subpanel, go for 3x what you think you need.

The subpanel can be of any current rating >= the supply, e.g. a 30A breaker can feed #10 wire to a 125A subpanel. It needs to have its own "main" breaker but it can be of any size >= supply rating, since it is only a shutoff switch. This main breaker must bolt down, you can't just backfeed a breaker that only clips in.

If you use rigid conduit, the stuff is hella expensive, but only needs to be buried 6” instead of 12-24”.

| improve this answer | |

Run a conduit from the bottom of the spa panel over to the shed. Install a small breaker panel in the shed. Feed that with some #6 copper or aluminum, four wire.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.