Are there any code restrictions involving in-wall convection ovens?

| improve this question | | | | |
  • 1
    Gas or electric? Both will need to be installed according to mfg instructions, gas will require a vent. – Ed Beal Nov 18 '17 at 16:55

A stand alone appliance will always come under Underwriters Laboratories jurisdiction. The manufacturer's install instruction will dictate proper guidelines. If a local inspector is involved he can and sometimes does ask for this literature and check things out. Involving a convection oven, I would rigidly follow these instructions and even might error on the side of caution.

| improve this answer | | | | |
  • U.L. doesn't have a "jurisdiction", manufacturers choose to pay for their testing and certification services (or not). U.L. listing/certification is not required unless the applicable code says it is (granted, for appliances in the US this would likely be the case, but this site is global). – Jimmy Fix-it Nov 19 '17 at 6:08

The code that applies depends on where you live. In California, it is the Cal Mechanical Code (CCR, Title 24, Part 4), which often incorporates other codes (plumbing, electrical, etc.) and standards (NFPA, etc.) by reference. Your local code enforcement authority may also have requirements specific to your locale (also a great place to inquire as to what codes apply in your area/region).

| improve this answer | | | | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.