I've finally gotten around to installing an outlet into my kitchen cabinets that were put in by the previous owners. Below is a picture of what I am working with.

enter image description here

enter image description here

As you can see the wire is already there but there seems to be no cutout or anything, along with a gap between the cabinet and wall. I have an Old Work box from a previous project but will that work? Or is there a box or method specifically for this kind of job? Thank you!

********************************* Completed ***********************************

Here is the finished product for anyone who is interested:

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • would you want to use a surface mount box for this sort of work? It would take away some interior volume from the cabinet, but it'd work. – Aaron Nov 15 '17 at 23:01
  • @Aaron I've never heard of a surface mount box, do you have a recommendation of one? I don't mind losing some space if it means less cutting! – Derek D Nov 15 '17 at 23:04
  • i.ytimg.com/vi/_hVwczZ2PFM/maxresdefault.jpg something like that except obviously with the wire not coming out of the wall and into the box, but all behind/in the box – Aaron Nov 15 '17 at 23:08
  • @aaron that looks kinda-not-codey. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Nov 16 '17 at 1:04
  • 1
    @Harper I know, I couldn't find one that was done correctly but having the box protrude into the cabinet is the right "idea", or at least the idea I was trying to convey for this example. – Aaron Nov 16 '17 at 1:06

I would use and 4-square commercial metal box, available from the big box stores or any home center/large hardware store. Knock out a hole in the back of the box, insert a pop-in NM connector install the wire through the connector and screw the box to the back of the cabinet. Purchase a single gang mud ring. install the ring on the box. Install the receptacle and the plate.

  • What is a pop-in NM connector? – Derek D Nov 15 '17 at 23:41
  • 1
    Walk in to a proper electrical supply house. "What is a pop-in NM connector?" "What are you trying to do?" "Bring Romex into a knockout on a metal box." "Be right back."....."It's one of these." The exact same conversation will happen at Home Depot, except he'll bring you the wrong thing. Probably a can of paint. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Nov 16 '17 at 1:07
  • Non-metallic quick fit NM cable connector. – Paul Logan Nov 16 '17 at 16:12
  • AKA push button connector – Paul Logan Nov 16 '17 at 16:13
  • 1
    In case anyone is wondering how I solved this. As @Harper said, I went to a local electrical supply store, the man working there was incredibly knowledgeable, told me everything I wanted to know, and sold me what I needed. He gave me everything described above and actually threw in some extra stuff for free. For sure a better place to get the knowledge I needed than the local Big Box. – Derek D Nov 17 '17 at 22:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.