I recently bought a house that has a gas fireplace. It seems to work well (although the fan is too loud to actually use—perhaps a future DIY question!), but to the right there’s a large flame that isn’t really “hitting” the logs. It seems to me that the fire warming the ceramic logs is really what radiates the heat. The flame to the right is just shooting it’s heat right out the exhaust.
Should I open the fireplace and look at how I might adjust the placement of the logs to ensure they are over the flame? Or, is this working as intended?