I am buying a new dishwasher. The installation requires a metal connection to the existing water valve. How do i know if i have a metal or plastic connection? enter image description here

enter image description here


You look at it, and feel it. That looks very much like a plastic valve, based on the color, the mold seals and the details molded into it.

Does it look like plastic, or does it look like metal?

| improve this answer | |
  • Yep, and metal is rarely painted from the factory for this application. It's usually chromed brass. – isherwood Nov 12 '17 at 15:32
  • And if it is painted, the mold lines will appear rounded, as the paint covers them partially. The part has quite clear mold lines, indicating it's not painted. So that part is plastic. – vidarlo Nov 12 '17 at 15:34

That is plastic alright. It is called polybutylene. If you are going to abide by the DW Mfg directive then you will have to convert the Polybutylene to copper. The big box stores have these fittings. Also a Plumbing wholesaler may have it. The mobile home repair houses have these fittings also. My Recommend is convert the ply-B to a male hose thread.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.