Wired into my alarm panel per the enclosed photo is a small black-wrapped device wired to the 12V+, - & Earth.

What might this be for - voltage stabilisation, noise reduction, ...?

Grateful for your assistance before I take the often regrettable step of opening it up.

Alarm Panel

  • Can you get us close-ups of it? Nov 10 '17 at 12:43
  • It looks a bit like a jack socket. Maybe to power a test connection. As already suggested - try for a close-up.
    – Chenmunka
    Nov 10 '17 at 12:46
  • If there is only the 3wires (red black green) attached to it, then it must be some type of transient voltage suppressor. Just to be clear, the yellow blue pair pictured is running behind the device and not connected to it? Is that correct?
    – Tyson
    Nov 10 '17 at 15:28
  • "Often"? "Opening it up"? "Regrettable"? It sounds like you are a tinkerer who has a habit, need or compulsion to disassemble items of curiosity, and that often doesn't go well. You might want to get that looked at. If the goal is learnng, there are far more efficient (and less destructive) ways to learn, this being one of them, so awesome. Essential house utilities are untouchable because of impact on mortgage (the house is collateral) and insurance (priced based on the alarm system working, fraud to remove it). Nov 10 '17 at 16:38
  • 1
    @Harper - that is completely legitimate. The output of the transformer is still isolated from ground.
    – vidarlo
    Nov 10 '17 at 17:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.