I'm restoring the door to my dumb waiter. The door is 1" thick, plywood core, tin exterior (1/32"); the door is original and dates back to 1939. I want to make the door completely flat, then paint it, but I'm not sure how to fill in the recessed panel such that is does'nt warp or crack later. The panel is 36" x 7", 7/8" deep.

My first thought was to use something solid, like MDF, to fill in most of the space, then use fiberglass or metal-reinforced bondo to fill in whatever space remained; apply another coat of fiberglass/bondo on the entire face of the door, sand, paint, done. Is that a good solution?

enter image description here

  • 5
    I think it makes more sense to construct a replacement door and store this beautiful antique for potential use by the next occupant. A sheet of MDF with several coats of paint will probably not warp. – A. I. Breveleri Nov 5 '17 at 2:53
  • 4
    @A.I.Breveleri I agree 100%. Please make a new door rather than attempting to alter this one. – jqning Nov 5 '17 at 4:07
  • Did you ever get this resolved? If so, please give a check-mark to the answer or write up your own answer explaining what you did to get it fixed and give yourself a check mark. That will help others with this kind of problem know that this has a resolution and is a good place to look for their answer. (Please tell me this is in storage and you've made a new, flat plain door...) – FreeMan Aug 6 at 20:08

Something to keep in mind with this dumb waiter door is that because of the vertical shaft and what terrible things vertical shafts can do with fire; that is why the metal door is installed there, to forestall the spread of fire.

You could over-lay this door with good quality 1/8" or 3/16" plywood, say Baltic Birch or Mahogany. Install ribs in the void to fill; or you could use a filler panel the right size. No need for bondo, the plywood can easily span an inch.
Use the proper adhesive compatible with the substrates. Weight the whole thing for 24-hours for the glue to set. You will need to adjust your hinges slightly to accommodate the difference in depth. Then paint to you hearts content.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.