My sister bought some new Amish cherry furniture from Ohio When it arrived they had filled knots with some kind of wood filler. Is it possible to get it out of knots?

enter image description hereenter image description here

  • 2
    Frankly, I'd send it back. Contact the manufacturer with these photos and say it's unacceptable. – Chris Cudmore Nov 2 '17 at 17:55
  • Agree that this isn't top quality furniture, but a remedy depends on how the article was described in the first place. (If they said "clear" or "no knots", then you obviously have a good argument.) – Aloysius Defenestrate Nov 2 '17 at 18:14
  • you can dig it out, but it would likely look worse with a smooth bore side than the natural "jaggies" – dandavis Nov 2 '17 at 21:26
  • Wow those look bad, I've not seen that with the pieces I have purchased. I would contact the seller and at least request the type of filler used so you know what to use to soften it. – Ed Beal Nov 2 '17 at 23:48
  • if you like the table other than the filler, have them install dutchman patches. skillyfully installed dutchman can be attractive even if noticeable. if vendor won't do it, have a local woodworking expert do it. – user79313 Dec 20 '17 at 6:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.