I've got a bathroom lightswitch with two actual light switches, and one dewstop that goes to the ceiling fan. The light switches are on the left and middle, and the dewstop is on the right.

Is it possible to order a cover plate online that will cover the drywall? What would I google/where could I find it?

  • 2
    It's not clear why a regular 3-gang cover plate, like this one or this one or one of these wouldn't work ... – brhans Oct 30 '17 at 21:44
  • Because the right is a different size from the left and middle. – generic_user Oct 30 '17 at 21:48
  • "gang" is a term I have never seen before, and that is helpful – generic_user Oct 30 '17 at 21:48

You need a two regular/1 decorator 3-gang plate

Your "dewstop" (humidstat) fits what's called a decorator (sometimes called "Decora") wallplate. So, you need a 3-gang wallplate with regular (toggle) switch openings on the left and center and a decorator opening on the right, such as the Hubbell NP226W depicted below:

Hubbell NP226W

| improve this answer | |
  • Should be readily available, try a proper electrical supply house instead of big-box. The charm of Decora is that both switches and receptacles (well, evything) take the same cover plate. So you really need 2 switch 1 Decora. And Decora was a brand in the 70s(?) which invented this scheme and probably had exclusive rights for a good while. I know all the trendy homes had Decora... – Harper - Reinstate Monica Oct 31 '17 at 0:46
  • @Harper -- it's a brand of Leviton (still) – ThreePhaseEel Oct 31 '17 at 0:51

Your wall combination isn't too obscure (toggle/toggle/decorator), so you should be able to get a single plate to do that. But if you have some other odd combinations, they can be harder to find. Hera are some alternatives:

  • Modular plates

enter image description here enter image description here

It doesn't look as good as a single plate, but you can buy individual "gang" plates that fit together in a line. You buy the two end plates and as many center plates as necessary. Do a search for "center gang" at your supplier and you should find them. If someone went crazy and gave you a switch/outlet/dial/decorator in a row, you can build your own covers.

  • Inserts

enter image description here

You can get a n-gang plate with all decorator openings pretty easily. Then, you can use inserts in them for anything else (like a traditional toggle switch).

  • Custom

Never used them, but found a few places easily that will sell switch plates to order. To be considered if the look of the other solutions doesn't cut it.

| improve this answer | |

You need a 3 gang decora cover. If tho other 2 switches are old style toggles they will need to be updated to the decor style.

| improve this answer | |
  • As @brhans linked in a comment, there are covers which mix the Decora and old style in various configurations – mmathis Oct 30 '17 at 23:34
  • Decora in the middle is probably not one of them, unless you really look. OTOH between Tormach, Shopbot and 3D printing (tough enough for switchplates) you should be able to get anything. – Harper - Reinstate Monica Oct 31 '17 at 0:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.