I have a screen door that has a pneumatic brace that keeps the door open. It is currently stuck open and I'm trying to press the release mechanism, but I can't get it to release.

Any ideas on how to get it to work?

  • 3
    Sledgehammer! – Tester101 Feb 29 '12 at 14:15
  • 2
    A picture would allow folks to see the type of release you have. – Tester101 Feb 29 '12 at 14:19
  • 3
    Have you tried opening the door further, to relieve the pressure on the locking mechanism? – Tester101 Feb 29 '12 at 14:20
  • 1
    My glass exterior door works the same way Tester101 describes. Push it farther out, then it closes. Alternatively, if you just want to get the door closed for the time being, you could remove the pin holding the cylinder in place on the door frame. – Doresoom Feb 29 '12 at 18:37
  • 2
    Bigger Sledgehammer!!! – shirlock homes Feb 29 '12 at 21:02

I just utilized Tester101's method of opening the door further and it worked perfectly. Just open the door as wide as it'll go and the locking gizmo disengages.


I've had screen doors that were propped open with the brace and when people try to swing it shut without thinking, they end up bending the little metal brace itself, not allowing it to close. You can usually bend it back with a little shove but it probably won't shut as smoothly as before. If the little metal piece that keeps it open is stuck, then maybe get some pliers and wiggle it some to try and get it to slide back down so you can close the door.


If the bracket that attaches the closing device to the door has a number of settings where you can put a screw, thenDetach the bracket that attaches to the door itself.

Then close the door a little bit and reattach the bracket so that there is a lot more slack to be able to open the door.

Now you should be able to open the door wider and release the latching mechanism

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.