This shelf bracket has an oblique bar connecting the two arms, to make it stronger. That bar makes it a 'Heavy duty shelf bracket'. Does that bar have a name? Like 'reinforcing bar' for example.

I checked the definition of 'crossbar' and it doesn't fit into it because it's not a horizontal bar.

Heavy duty shelf bracket

  • 1
    A brace. That is a braced angle with an angle brace. – Dan D. Oct 29 '17 at 21:00
  • 1
    It could be referred to as a strut – Alaska Man Oct 30 '17 at 0:18

Another term for this sort of feature is gusset.

gusset image

Often enough, a gusset is a flat plate engaging both parts at one edge, but it appears that when used with "shelf" the brace reference is translated to gusset. Both terms appear to work well.

gusset with braces

The image above shows double braces held in place by gussets, although if there were no gussets, the term apparently still applies. Brace is better terminology, though.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.