I just moved into a home built in 1962 and so there are still a bunch of land-lines connected. I just removed a telephone from my kitchen that had a phone jack behind it. See the picture below:

Phone Jack Protruding

What can I do to remove this?

  • behind the big flat metal part there's a standard outlet box. you can put a blank plate on it for less obtrusion, or remove it all and patch the drywall. I would try to run 5v to it and put in USB outlets to avoid mud work. – dandavis Oct 28 '17 at 7:04
  • Yes, get yourself a standard blank plate in your favorite color, remove the telephone plate and there should be a mounting yoke that also needs to be removed and then you can mount the blank plate on the box behind it. – ArchonOSX Oct 28 '17 at 9:11
  • In the 1960's it was common if not standard policy to install phone outlets with out a box. If you can locate the wire in the basement, disconnect it. Pull the wire out of the wall. you will likely have a pencil sized hole in the wall. – mikes Oct 28 '17 at 11:06
  • That is a special magic plate that is made for wall phones, in case you want to do it Adama style. (Adama on the 2004 Galactica series was really into hardwired lines.) – Harper - Reinstate Monica Oct 28 '17 at 18:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.