I have a 22 subpanel for my hot tub. I have a 220 line that runs about 50 feet to the subpanel and then 5 feet to the hot tub. I need to move the subpanel another 6 feet to the fence. I do I add the length of the 220 line to make it to the fence? Can I just put a junction box in the ground and connect wires together to make it the length I need? Thanks in advance.


The junction box needs to be accessible, so "in the ground" cannot mean "buried without access."

In many cases it makes more sense to just replace the wire from end-to-end, but if you can put a junction box (that is accessible) either at the former sub-panel location or somewhere closer to the supply (so that you are shortening the supply wires before extending new wire to the new sub-panel location) that should also work.

  • When I got a new panel, they just used a subpanel as a junction box. Inspector didn't seem to mind ¯_(ツ)_/¯ Oct 26 '17 at 17:12
  • 1
    Agreed, with the additional observation that depending on the gauge of your 220V line, a junction box may be less expensive than 60 feet of wire.
    – mreff555
    Oct 26 '17 at 18:35

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.