I have a small shed with a concrete foundation. I need a vice in the shed, but there's no room for a big, heavy workbench to keep it in place. I can't bolt it to the wall of the shed, because it's flimsy wood and will not withstand the force I'll need to apply to stuff.

So, what I want is a vice atop to a solid metal post, about 3 foot high, with big, strong bolts so I can drill into the foundation and secure it. Do I have to make this myself or does it exist to be bought?

  • If you want it on your wall, you could attach a piece of wood across two studs. – mbeckish Oct 20 '17 at 14:56
  • You want a metal vice? There are freestanding woodworking vices like this... – JPhi1618 Oct 20 '17 at 19:01

There are stands that can be purchased off the shelf. A heavy duty grinder stand would work those are easy to find online an come in different strengths , I used some square tube steel for my large vice , purchased from a metal scrap yard at a big savings compared to purchasing a premade one or new steel cut to length.

  • +1, any industrial tool supply place will have them, some as low as like $100. – Jimmy Fix-it Oct 20 '17 at 14:52
  • Yep. Square tubing and appropriate angle iron, all bolted together nice and neat, would do just fine. I've managed to avoid learning to weld for 30 years by doing such things. – isherwood Oct 20 '17 at 15:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.