I'll try to be the more specific possible but please consider I usually talk French.

I'm not the owner of the place I live, I'm renting it. So something like changing a door is not something I considier that I should change if something goes bad with it. Especially when one of the main prupose of a door is not meet; stopping cold air from coming in. But the owner don't want to change it (waste of time talking with him anyway ; "Costs too much." he'll say - I literally hear him saying it).

So I was wondering how could I fix the fact that yes, my exterior door is closing correctly, but there's a huge and quite considerable amount of air entering by where the metalic piece from my door went into the wall hole.

Where air come from (This is not my door)

Note: It's not my door, it's an example. Mine have a door lock about 2 inches over the handle.

1 Answer 1


The general fix for air leaking around a door is known in the US as "weatherstripping".

enter image description here

Image from: http://www.energyconscious.com/m-d-building-products-door-weather-stripping-white-17-63628.html

It comes in several shapes and sizes, but the basic idea is to fill a gap with a compressible foam that will close an irregular gap and keep air out. It's good practice to put it all the way around a door.

  • Thanks! I'll find that. I'm pretty sure it's lot less expensive than changing the door itself. Oct 17, 2017 at 20:24
  • 1
    @SimonDugré, I'm assuming it's an older door. Newer doors are made with weatherstripping, and special replacement strips can be purchased that fit into a slot in the door of the original strips are damaged. Older doors don't have this, so the adhesive backed kind is cheap and easy to use for that.
    – JPhi1618
    Oct 17, 2017 at 20:31
  • Yeah, this door probably have close to 20 years. Thanks a lot. Oct 17, 2017 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.