I just bought a hot tub that requires a 240 volt, 50 amp dedicated circuit. My electrical panel has a rating of 100 Amps. Max. All the breaker slots are full but I am wondering if I could consolidate and install a 50 Amp Double-Pole and (2) 15 Amp Single-Pole Type QT Triplex Circuit Breaker to make room for my hot tub, or if I will need to upgrade the whole panel. (see pictures)enter image description here

  • How big is your house in square feet? – ThreePhaseEel Oct 17 '17 at 4:49
  • It is 1750 squarefeet. – Degusdebus Oct 17 '17 at 4:56
  • Highly recommended that you get a professional opinion. You're likely looking at adding a new subpanel just to control the tub. It would be wired just after the master 100 Amp breaker. But you will want advice for cable size, etc. This is a lot like installing a full-house A/C unit. You can do it, but it must be done right. – SDsolar Oct 17 '17 at 10:01
  • To be sure, I'd do a load calculation on the home, including the new hot tub load. This will tell you if 100 amp service is enough for all the loads (including the hot tub) in the home, or if you'll need to upgrade the service. – Tester101 Oct 17 '17 at 11:16
  • One more question: what are the nameplate wattage ratings on your A/C and range/oven? – ThreePhaseEel Oct 17 '17 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.