I have some omlopp from Ikea drawer lights and the correct transformers, but unfortunately the cable on the lights is pretty short and needs extending for quite a few.

I'm happy enough to break into the wires and extend them (as they have little Molex style connectors on the end that I can't find, there is another dead question here trying to do the same) but I just need to know the correct wire to use.

The LED lights are 24V, 2W each:

enter image description here

A link to something I could use on Maplin or screwfix would be great.

  • 1
    Any cable with same or thicker guage will do. – winny Oct 4 '17 at 15:30
  • 1
    2W is really not much. The cheapest will probably be cheapest speaker cable you can get by metre. – Bartek Banachewicz Oct 4 '17 at 16:02
  • The cord in the picture looks like 16 gauge SPT cord. – Tyson Oct 4 '17 at 16:58

In order to keep within CEC (Canadian Electrical Code) rules the smallest wire for use in wiring fixtures is #16. From the 120VAC source (panel) to the fixture that wire must be a minimum #14 AWG wire....usually NMD copper if wiring is to be completed in dwelling units.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy