enter image description hereenter image description here this piece is from the main water supply pipe


It probably does not matter what type valve it is. Looking at the part you show, I do not thing that you will be able to repair the existing valve, or be able to find parts to do a repair. I would replace the valve with a name brand, top quality, American made valve. You could use a gate, globe, or a full port ball valve. The part you show looks to be from a rising stem gate valve, but I could be wrong. I would have to see the whole valve to be sure.

  • The valve could be a stationary stem/rising gate valve.
    – d.george
    Sep 23 '17 at 9:53
  • I think ball valves (90 deg turn) are now used where brass gate valves used to be. They're the best choice for an on-off valve, such as a main supply cut-off, water heater cut-off, . . . Ball valves are however not good for metering and I made the mistake of installing two fancy ball valves billed as "garden valves" (made in Italy) for outside faucets. This model is stiff and has a small handle so my wife can hardly turn it. I will have to fashion a small (wooden?) wrench to fit over the handle. Adjustment of flow rate is difficult, but mostly we use it full on or all the way off. Sep 23 '17 at 16:59
  • Don't use a globe valve for a main shutoff. It could significantly reduce the dynamic water pressure to the home.
    – Edwin
    Sep 24 '17 at 0:28
  • All of the valves mentioned have their "pros and cons". Jim Stewart mentioned a few about ball valves. I would add that if the ball valves are not exercised (turned on/off occasionly) they will freeze up. Edwin mentioned that globe valves will reduce the flow rate, however they will be the least prone to freezing up when closed against a high incoming pressure, and gate valves after a short time will freeze up if closed against a high incoming pressure. So which ever you choose do not buy a cheap valve just to save money. I always tried to "but American" due to quality.
    – d.george
    Sep 24 '17 at 10:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.