I'm patching a hole in a bedroom. There are multiple layers of paints. I use lightweight spackle. Can anyone tell me how to fix the uneven wall? Thanks a lot.

enter image description here

  • You are on the right path. Plaster, sanding, repeat ...
    – StrongBad
    Sep 21, 2017 at 20:54
  • Thanks. Do I do the same for covering the ripped-off paint?
    – Rebecca
    Sep 21, 2017 at 21:24

1 Answer 1


First, make sure any loose or chipping paint is removed.
Second, for an area that large, I would use joint compound instead of spackle. Also, a wide taping knife will help.

One more tip: For a relatively small area such as this in an existing house, in order not to get so much dust in your house, I recommend the following:

  1. Be careful not to apply too much joint compound. Use your knife to eliminate ridges when you apply it.
  2. After the joint compound dries, use the damp sponge "sanding" method to smooth what imperfections remain. After this, actual sanding may not even be necessary.
  • 2
    For one time repairs you can buy plastic mud knives cheap. A 12" knife would be good for a spot that large.
    – ArchonOSX
    Sep 21, 2017 at 23:33
  • Get yourself a drywall sanding block for sanding, they're approximately 3" x 9". That will help you get a flat, even, repair. Sep 22, 2017 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.