A tree root has broken through in the corner of my girlfriend's shed slab. It's under a wooden shelving unit from IKEA and one slat if the shelf has been pried loose by the root.

What can I do about the root? Do I have to move the whole shed? Redo the concrete surface? Or can I somehow deal with the root in place?

  • I want to deal with the root. Get rid of it. – Zonker.in.Geneva Sep 18 '17 at 17:39
  • Sorry about the aggressive edit, but none of that stuff is relevant to or clarifies the problem. – isherwood Sep 18 '17 at 18:33
  • 6
    It would be really helpful if you described the shed a bit (and maybe provide photos). The solution to this with an 8x10 garden shed is very different for the solution for a 30x40 pole shed. – isherwood Sep 18 '17 at 18:34
  • Bear in mind that, if you cut the root out, whatever plant or tree it belongs to will likely die within a year or two.... – Bamboo Nov 29 '17 at 20:36
  • 2
    I’m voting to close this question because it's been abandoned. – FreeMan Jan 2 at 19:57

You are going to have to dig under that slab, find the root and cut it off. Repair the slab with extra thickness. Pray it goes somewhere else next. She is going to appreciate your effort. Happy Digging. P.


Tough break.... that's gonna be a lot of work. First of all, dig down outside of the shed and cut the root off.... and maybe think about cutting the tree down too. Then, follow the root till you find where it enters the concrete. You'll have to chip away all of the concrete that has been affected by the root (concrete that has been raised up or chipped). If it is just a small portion of the concrete you may not need to shore up the wall that the concrete was holding up. Then, tap con a form to the existing concrete and pour some new concrete in the hole. Might be a good idea to drill a hole through the bottom plate of your wall and put an anchor bolt through the bottom plate and into the area where you will pour your new concrete. This will give you an easy way to anchor your wall back to your new concrete without having to use a hammer drill. Good luck.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.