See attached picture. I have a pipe that is inserted into an expanded pipe. Problem is, sometimes the expanded pipe slips down, spraying water everywhere. How would I go about keeping the expanded pipe held up? picture of pipes


Both the pipe connections on the vertical pipe run in your picture (the one with the nut and the threaded one which is missing the nut) are designed as slip-joint connections. They utilize a rubber or plastic slip-joint washer that squeezes down on the inserted pipe when the slip-joint nut is tightened.

The assembly coming down from the sink is called a pop-up drain assembly and it has a 1 1/4" tailpiece pipe that you cannot see in your picture because it is inserted entirely into the 1 1/2" slip-joint extension which, by the way, is the piece that is missing its slip-joint nut).

You will need to get a couple parts from the plumbing shop: (1) 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" slip-joint nut; and (1) 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" slip-joint washer (rubber or plastic, don't matter)

Then you need to do exactly this:

  • remove the trap u-bend at the bottom
  • remove the 1 1/2" slip-joint extension and cut it down 1"
  • slide an 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" slip-joint nut up onto the 1 1/4" tailpiece, followed by an 1 1/2" x 1 1/4" slip joint washer
  • slide the (now 1" shorter) 1 1/2" slip-joint extension up onto the 1 1/4" tailpiece and hand tighten the nut and washer, from the previous step, to the threaded top of it
  • slide the trap u-bend back up into place
  • wiggle everything about until it's straight and clean
  • tighten all slip-joint nuts with a wrench, not too tight but more than hand-tight.

It should look something like this when you are done:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.