Yesterday, the modem and desk lamp in my home office started flashing. I thought the power strip was failing. When I touched the outlet to unplug the power strip, the outlet was hot to touch!!!
I immediately shut the power off and upon examination of the outlet, a copper crimp had been used to pigtail off two black wires. The insulation on the wires and electrical tape had melted and the crimp fell to the floor when I removed the outlet.
This is the second time this has happened. We were fortunate to find this before major damage. The first time I had an electrician inspect the first incident and he made the repair. This one, I rewired with wire nuts and electrical tape. Now I plan to inspect EVERY outlet to remove these crimps.
House was built in 1978 in central CA. Was this normal procedure back then? If so, with new technology and gadgets, is that causing the failure of the crimps. Thank you. Bk.