I am working on a older home that has half inch fire code drywall I cannot find this anywhere the only size I can find is 5/8 fire code drywall does anyone know if they still make the half inch I know that used to make quarter inch 3/8 and half inch but now they've switched all to 5/8 but can you still get half inch fire code wall because regular drywall I only need to replace one piece in the room it will be look different with the texture

closed as off-topic by isherwood, mmathis, Daniel Griscom, Tester101 Sep 14 '17 at 11:05

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking product or service recommendations are off-topic because they tend to become obsolete quickly. Instead, describe your situation and the specific problem you're trying to solve." – isherwood, mmathis, Daniel Griscom, Tester101
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Probably because fire codes have been revised and now require 5/8? If so, since this is a repair, the rest of the wall will be grandfathered and you should be able to use 1/2, which I do know is sold. – Harper Sep 7 '17 at 17:39
  • 1
    Are you asking whether half-inch fire-rated drywall is available, or is there more to the question? – isherwood Sep 7 '17 at 18:31

What you're looking for is what's currently known as type C firecode. This board has improved burn rating to what's probably there (type X) info: http://www.awci.org/cd/pdfs/8309_f.pdf

You can purchase type C in 1/2" or 5/8".

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.