enter image description hereenter image description here

Guys I need to find out what this is- it's also on my wooden bed racks

  • If you run your finger over those spots, do you feel and pitting? Commented Sep 7, 2017 at 17:31
  • Also, are those bars steel or aluminium? I'm inclined to think the former, but it's hard to tell with the camera flash. (You can determine using a magnet.) Commented Sep 7, 2017 at 17:51
  • Hello, and welcome to Stack Exchange. We're closing the other question you created on this (as a different user); please don't submit duplicates. Commented Sep 10, 2017 at 18:01

2 Answers 2


The pictures seem to be showing corrosion of aluminum. The finish on the aluminum, whether that be a clear anodize or other lacquer or enamel coating, has failed in spots and is allowing aluminum oxide to form. As you can guess aluminum oxide is white in color.

  • Aluminium oxide (=alumina) is not found in pure form on the surface of bars like this. It will be contaminated with iron oxide and thus be grey not white. Making pure (white fused alumina) WFA is done only for abrasives and is expensive (requires a Bayer process to remove the iron.) Try rubbing some aluminium and see if your get white powder... it will be grey instead. Commented Sep 7, 2017 at 17:42

The white outer circles appears to me to be white rust, which is a term for corroded zinc; zinc is the protective layer of galvanized steel. The inner darker disks... probably indicate exposed steel (no longer covered by zinc), possibly slightly corroded as well.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.