What's the name of the "circle" that the arrow points to?

In the picture is the end of a barbell. That thing that arrow points to is put onto the tube. The tube has a "dent" where that circle fits. There are eyes in the end of the circle that are used to expand it slightly so it can move easily onto the tube and when it's in the dent, it's released so it clasps.

Photo of tube accompanied by partially open rings


That is called a "circlip" and can be removed or positioned with special pliers made for them. They come in internal and external varieties. What you have pictured are internal. Some circlip pliers are reversible (the ones in the picture) so you can use them with internal or external circlips.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • 14
    Or a "snap ring". – isherwood Sep 6 '17 at 21:22
  • 1
    Larger circlips can be operated with a set of very fine-nosed needle nosed pliers in an emergency. (i.e. you haven't managed to come up with an excuse to get to Harbor Freight to pick up a set yet. :) ) – FreeMan Sep 7 '17 at 12:42
  • Also known as a "jesus clip". Because if you try to remove it without the pliers it will shoot across the room and make you say "oh jesus" – Robert Stiffler Sep 26 '17 at 16:05

The clips that you are referring to are called snap rings in North America.

| improve this answer | |
  • 4
    also often "retaining ring" – Rob Starling Sep 7 '17 at 3:12
  • 1
    "Circlips" was a popular term for such things in the 1960s, judging from the number of US trademark registrations filed in that era that described them as "retaining rings". The ones in the photo are "internal" rings, as contrasted with "external", having slightly different geometry. – Upnorth Sep 7 '17 at 4:31
  • 1
    @NPM Depends where you are from. In North America, they are called "Snap Rings", but it appears that Circlips is more popular elsewhere: trends.google.com/trends/… – dberm22 Sep 7 '17 at 12:51
  • 1
    I always assumed that "snap ring" was a colloquial term that wasn't used professionally, but I guess the upvotes have showed that it is a more commonly used term. – JPhi1618 Sep 7 '17 at 13:57

I've also seen them called C-Rings* or C-Clips, to differentiate them from E-Clips/E-Rings. E-Clips perform a similar function but have a slightly different shape, including a spacer (the bar in the middle of the "E") which keeps the ring at a set distance from the shaft:

enter image description here

*If you Google "C-Ring", add the word "retaining" or have Safe Search on!

| improve this answer | |
  • 2
    Programmer here... Did not follow warning, now I've learned a thing. – Aaron McMillin Sep 7 '17 at 18:13
  • 1
    So, that's why I got bunch of unrelated stuff when looking for sex toys! – Agent_L Sep 8 '17 at 7:53
  • The images are very disturbing. I mean the fact that pictures showing how to use the c-ring on a model are mixed with images of pliers. – WoJ Sep 8 '17 at 15:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.