For a mezzanine, stage or other flooring with an exposed sidewall, what is the proper construction or architectural term for that sidewall?

For example, here we see a mezzanine:

enter image description here

The red circle shows the exposed sidewall, which is here paneled in hardwood. What is the term for this sidewall?

1 Answer 1


Some more research led me to the answer: it is called the fascia. The gallery is supported by beams called headers. These beams are covered by the fascia, which in the example above is coffered paneling.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.