Ontario, Canada.
Kitchen has a split receptacle with 2 hot wires (black and red). The metal tab on the receptacle (on the side of black/red wires) is broken off. There is a combined 20amp breaker at the electrical panel.

I am trying to install a USB charger receptacle, but it has just neutral, hot and ground terminals.

Is it safe to simply cap off the red wire, tape it up nicely, and push it to the back of the gang box?

I am not comfortable changing the breaker on the electrical panel.

  • Are there just 3 wires in 1 cable coming into the box? (Besides ground). Sep 3, 2017 at 20:33
  • @Harper yes, single Romex cable with 3 wires + ground
    – Slav
    Sep 3, 2017 at 20:41
  • The red has nothing to do with the breaker. It's split in the room at the switch.
    – isherwood
    Sep 3, 2017 at 21:09
  • By "Combined breaker" do you mean a two-pole breaker? Sep 3, 2017 at 22:54
  • @isherwood I recall reading somewhere that Canada requires kitchen SABCs to be MWBCs Sep 3, 2017 at 22:54

1 Answer 1


Yes this is fine to do but against code because that plug is required to be split to meet code rules for kitchen counter tops.

CEC 26-712(d)(iii)

  • This answer could use a fair bit of expansion, and a Code quote would be a nice finishing touch :) Sep 4, 2017 at 18:40
  • Thanks. For a home owner, what's the consequence of not being to code?
    – Slav
    Sep 4, 2017 at 23:13
  • 1
    Code quote is in the comment. Consequence is when you go to sell a diligent home inspector for a potential purchaser could call you on it and also if the house should burn down or something else it could be held against you. Sep 5, 2017 at 19:17
  • Are you sure about the requirement for a split receptacle? Mar 23, 2020 at 6:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.