I have an existing 200a service in my home. The panel is located in the garage. Over the years I have added several 15a circuits. I have an air compressor I want to install in the garage that requires a 50a 240v circuit. Will it require a sub panel, or can it be installed on the existing main panel? If I need a sub, will it require an upgrade from my service provider? Either way, I plan on getting an electrician to do the work. I just want to know what I’m facing.

Thank you.

  • 1
    Is the garage attached? Do you have a sub panel in the garage already? How much are you currently drawing from the main panel and how much space is left? Does it have room for a double ganged 240?
    – noybman
    Aug 27, 2017 at 17:57
  • 1
    What make and model is the existing panel? Can you get us the square footage of your house + how much current your HVAC system pulls and what your other major draws are, as well as how many kitchen small appliance circuits you have? Aug 27, 2017 at 18:49

1 Answer 1


If you have 2 open slots in your existing panel you could put a breaker in no sub panel is needed. If you do not have open slots you can add couple of double stuff breakers to open up space. For the 50A 240 circuit if the existing main panel is rated for doubles.

  • As Ed said. To add a sub-panel you would still need two open slots in the main unless you have main lugs rated for two conductors.
    – ArchonOSX
    Aug 28, 2017 at 0:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.