I have a drain pipe for a shower. I need to attach a new pvc drain to it for a kerdi shower base. How can I tell if this is cast iron or galvanized, or something else? I'm assuming I will need to cut off that flange on top prior to doing anything.

unidentified pipe

For the record, house was built in 1956 in Hampton, Virginia. Main stack is cast iron, also lots of galvanized for other drains.


Pipe is cast iron . The collar/flange is likely brass.


Agree it's cast iron, but the collar looks like galv steel. Hit it with a cold chisel and hammer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.