I'm having some condensation issues with ducts in my basement. Based on what I've read, it sounds like I have to get a dehumidifier and wrap the ducts.

I've wrapped a few, but it's hard to get the seal really tight the way I'd like it.

I was going to have them wrapped professionally. But someone suggested that I could have them covered in closed cell foam to make a tighter seal. Which do you think is better?

closed as primarily opinion-based by isherwood, mmathis, ThreePhaseEel, Daniel Griscom, Tester101 Aug 28 '17 at 14:09

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    "Better" is a subjective term. You're asking us to weigh cost and benefit, and therefore this question is off-topic. Perhaps you could revise to ask something more specific about the products. – isherwood Aug 15 '17 at 17:42
  • 1
    Condensation occurs when warm, humid air meets cold. Does this condensation only happen when you're running air conditioning (and not heat)? Is your basement conditioned (eg: ducts heating/cooling it)? Does it have a similar humidity to the rest of the house, or is it sealed off? Is there some extra source of humidity in the basement? Insulating the ducts to me sounds like fixing the symptom, not the problem. – gregmac Aug 15 '17 at 18:40

Covered in foam would be a better seal and offer insulation (minor) and sound deadening for air traveling through the duct. It would also probably cost your first born child depending on the company, their quality, the size and access of ducts, etc. There is duct mastic that may work better for some areas, smears around like bondo. Maybe explain your condensation issue more in depth? That sounds odd depending on your climate and the setup.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.